good article on the expansion of the Asian supermarkets throughout the country (gift link)

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

good article on the expansion of the Asian supermarkets throughout the country (gift link)

Post by Romr123 »

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: good article on the expansion of the Asian supermarkets throughout the country (gift link)

Post by ClownLoach »

It is obvious in some areas that the mainstream chains are also blocking and tackling to prevent these Asian and Latino stores from entering the market. For example the area I'm in has 8 Albertsons properties and I refuse to believe more than a couple of them are bringing in more than $250K a week. Several could close and nobody would be inconvenienced. In one place as I've complained regularly there is a early 2000s Vons that is so badly maintained I'm not sure they've done more than mop the floors since it opened directly across the street from a very fancy newer build Albertsons. They have to be aware that the Asian population in the area has grown exponentially and is estimated to be 20% now but they continue to sit on far more stores than they need. It seems intentional to keep these other stores out, and seeing that H-Mart is averaging $400K per week chainwide I would imagine that figure is much higher in SoCal. So Albertsons figures they don't want to give up a marginal store to better serve the community because the replacement is going to outperform them and potentially take a few dollars out of the business of the remaining stores since as the article states a growing portion of the customers are non-Asian. And this is how they behave now... Can you imagine how it would be if they actually pulled off the merger with Kroger? (Note: they have directly transferred some leases to H-Mart in OC a few years ago but those were landlord driven, probably not their choice)

I should also comment on Patel Brothers. I visited the Phoenix area store last month and found it very interesting. Store is about 20K in size. The store has a large produce area similar size to any American grocery store. Small deli and bakery in the back corner. Refrigerated around the rest of the perimeter. Lots of imported versions of classic American snacks with fascinating flavors like Masala Spice Lay's potato chips. The rest of the store was merchandised in what I recognize as distribution center speed racking, which means the presentation winds up with clean sleek looking aisles end to end as everything is the same height and firm dividers. Incredible selection of spices and other packaged foods that I'm not going to even begin to understand. Makes the store highly organized compared to some of the criticism of center store at other Asian concepts where they "flex" based on what is in stock. This store was almost impossibly clean, meticulously sparkling floors and not a stain anywhere. Only flaw was a few sticky hand baskets. Possibly the cleanest grocery store I've shopped in years and it was showing the building age in other ways but not sanitation. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Really surprised one hasn't fallen into Orange County yet as there is a growing Indian population there, but I imagine one of the closed Irvine Rite Aid sites will probably become a Patel soon enough as the area surely is on their radar.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: good article on the expansion of the Asian supermarkets throughout the country (gift link)

Post by buckguy »

DC has a mix of the older school little stores and the supers. The latter have no trouble finding space, taking over old Safeways and Shoppers, as well as other spaces. Even the Asian supers tend to be somewhat specialized. I have difficulty finding Southeast Asian items at most of the bigger stores on the Maryland side of the Potomac. The little Thai store in Silver Spring didn't survive COVID, the one that's part of an upscale restaurant in DC os overpriced but has a great selection of difficult to find items, and the one in Arlington has less than I would expect.

Perhaps more remarkable is the growth of these stores in places that don't have the largest Asian-American populations. Cleveland, for example, has 2 very good Asian markets that have things I can't easily find in DC and truly Pan-Asian selections that I don't see in DC.

I'd give the chains pretty mixed reviews, at best, in terms of selections. My Giant has a surprisingly good range of Asian items and they go beyond the "tourist Thai" stuff like Thai Kitchen brand items, which are watered down and over-priced. The store has a varied clientele that includes well-travelled people, but not large numbers of Asian Americans. It has a better selection than other Giants I've seen in DC and is comparable to the one suburban store I know with a large Asian-American clientele. Safeway doesn't seem to do anything comparable. Whole Foods is pretty much a joke--limited selection and it's mostly brands that are marketed for middle class Caucasians who have no idea what's authentic. The DC area is cosmopolitan enough that these stores should be a seen as more of an emerging threat to the margins of their business much like other specialty chains.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

ClownLoach wrote: June 13th, 2024, 8:08 am...I should also comment on Patel Brothers. I visited the Phoenix area store last month and found it very interesting. Store is about 20K in size. The store has a large produce area similar size to any American grocery store. Small deli and bakery in the back corner. Refrigerated around the rest of the perimeter. Lots of imported versions of classic American snacks with fascinating flavors like Masala Spice Lay's potato chips. The rest of the store was merchandised in what I recognize as distribution center speed racking, which means the presentation winds up with clean sleek looking aisles end to end as everything is the same height and firm dividers. Incredible selection of spices and other packaged foods that I'm not going to even begin to understand. Makes the store highly organized compared to some of the criticism of center store at other Asian concepts where they "flex" based on what is in stock. This store was almost impossibly clean, meticulously sparkling floors and not a stain anywhere. Only flaw was a few sticky hand baskets. Possibly the cleanest grocery store I've shopped in years and it was showing the building age in other ways but not sanitation. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Really surprised one hasn't fallen into Orange County yet as there is a growing Indian population there, but I imagine one of the closed Irvine Rite Aid sites will probably become a Patel soon enough as the area surely is on their radar.
I used to shop at the original Patel Brothers on Devon Avenue when I lived in Chicago (Downtown Evanston, to be exact). The building is very old, but Patel Brothers was always spotless and well-organized. Excellent produce. Haven't been to the one here in Phoenix yet, but it's on my list.

Nice to see they have kept up the tradition of running great stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Patel has one CA store in Santa Clara. You wouldn't even know it was part of a chain. They however are indeed part of the chain. Tiny strip mall space, handwritten signs, comparable in organization to an independent Asian market.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: June 13th, 2024, 6:28 pm Patel has one CA store in Santa Clara. You wouldn't even know it was part of a chain. They however are indeed part of the chain. Tiny strip mall space, handwritten signs, comparable in organization to an independent Asian market.
That's really odd. Saw the pictures and I would agree it is almost like the many flavors of H-Mart. This looks more like a independent that Patel took over and never expanded or remodeled or installed any systems or processes.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: June 13th, 2024, 10:32 pm
storewanderer wrote: June 13th, 2024, 6:28 pm Patel has one CA store in Santa Clara. You wouldn't even know it was part of a chain. They however are indeed part of the chain. Tiny strip mall space, handwritten signs, comparable in organization to an independent Asian market.
That's really odd. Saw the pictures and I would agree it is almost like the many flavors of H-Mart. This looks more like a independent that Patel took over and never expanded or remodeled or installed any systems or processes.
They have the Patel cash registers and use Patel bags. I find it odd they don't seem to use shelf tags or sign printing equipment. This store has been there for quite a while. I find it strange they have not added additional locations. Rite Aid closures could present some opportunities.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: June 13th, 2024, 10:57 pm
ClownLoach wrote: June 13th, 2024, 10:32 pm
They have the Patel cash registers and use Patel bags. I find it odd they don't seem to use shelf tags or sign printing equipment. This store has been there for quite a while. I find it strange they have not added additional locations. Rite Aid closures could present some opportunities.
I would expect Irvine will get one. It just makes sense. Just depends on what co-tenant agreements are in place.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am wondering if Patel has decided to focus elsewhere. It is odd they support one tiny CA Store. You would think more would have followed. There is opportunity for many more locations on CA.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: June 14th, 2024, 11:52 pm I am wondering if Patel has decided to focus elsewhere. It is odd they support one tiny CA Store. You would think more would have followed. There is opportunity for many more locations on CA.
This article is the first mentioning any expansion plans for Patel. I didn't think they were in any expansion mode recently. It sounds like they need to replace that Santa Clara unit, and again there would be a place for them in Irvine. That is pretty much all they would need in California I believe.