Electronic Price Tags

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Electronic Price Tags

Post by veteran+ »

Sometimes simple is better.

I worked for many retailers around the country and the best tags (with proper shelf design) were the soft plastic adhesive ones.

In fact I had a Price Integrity position at one chain and there were no problems.

Just sayin.................................

🤷‍♂️
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: June 19th, 2024, 8:19 am Sometimes simple is better.

I worked for many retailers around the country and the best tags (with proper shelf design) were the soft plastic adhesive ones.

In fact I had a Price Integrity position at one chain and there were no problems.

🤷‍♂️
Sounds like you like the Kroger tags.

One thing I don't like about the soft plastic adhesive is the ink tends to come off easily.

Done right I still think these electronic tags are fantastic. I am highly impressed with the implementation I have seen at Holiday/Sav-Mor. The look is so clean and orderly. I really hope other chains will figure out how to make it work out.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: June 20th, 2024, 1:01 am
veteran+ wrote: June 19th, 2024, 8:19 am Sometimes simple is better.

🤷‍♂️
Sounds like you like the Kroger tags.

One thing I don't like about the soft plastic adhesive is the ink tends to come off easily.

Done right I still think these electronic tags are fantastic. I am highly impressed with the implementation I have seen at Holiday/Sav-Mor. The look is so clean and orderly. I really hope other chains will figure out how to make it work out.
Ummmmmm, never had any ink smear issues. The surface was kind of shiny and the ink is underneath the gloss. Ralphs was not the only one that used that type of tag.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

With electrronic price tags, what happens if the price changes between the time a shopper puts an item in his or her basket and the time he or she checks out? I guess if they do all the price change overnight, this wouldn't be an issue, except in 24-hour stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

J-Man wrote: June 20th, 2024, 3:57 pm With electrronic price tags, what happens if the price changes between the time a shopper puts an item in his or her basket and the time he or she checks out? I guess if they do all the price change overnight, this wouldn't be an issue, except in 24-hour stores.
Similar thing if a paper tag is changed while a customer is shopping... it does happen late at night or any Saturday/Sunday in a chain drugstore.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Was at Lowes the other day looking for a water filter for the fridge. Noticed their big version of these same electronic tags are falling off the C-channels everywhere. They're adhered with thick black foam tape, the kind that doesn't separate into two layers but stays intact when pulled off, stuck to a clear plastic "card" that goes into the channel. The tape is wearing out now and many of the tags were dangling and falling off. Looks like a pain in the rear to get all that adhesive scraped off and then attach a new "card" to them.

I think this could benefit where ads are changed weekly in some cases. Too many lazy stores (ahem, Target, ahem) will start pulling down the sale tags and throwing them away early. I've seen stores pulling down the tags on Saturday night as early as 5pm so if you didn't have a print ad (which nobody does anymore) you would not know about any savings or promotions. Now you have electronic tags that change themselves once the store closes.

Grapevine, TX in my experience has been a pretty nice area and I just don't think the best place to test something like this. I would have used tough, inner city stores around the country that are undersized and take a ton of abuse to see if these tags will hold up.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

San Francisco Bay Area Walmart stores are getting these new price tags now. These are pretty busy stores and I haven't seen any fall on the ground yet. I tried to remove several and they are solidly attached.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

I'd be happy if Walmart would finally get tap-to-pay. Maybe it's available elsewhere, but in my local stores, you still have to insert your card or swipe. Today I went to Walmart, Sam's Club, GreatClips, Grocery Outlet, and The Habit. Walmart was the only place I had to insert my card. (Although at Sam's I had to scan my card to verify membership.)
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart pays NCR to remove the tap to pay chips in each credit card reader in order to disable tap.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 22nd, 2024, 11:30 am Walmart pays NCR to remove the tap to pay chips in each credit card reader in order to disable tap.
In the new readers they have been installing recently my understanding is they are not removing those chips. The small green light that is supposed to activate for tap is still there and blinking. If they remove the chips (as they did in the older readers) that little green light will not blink it will just be dead.

Possible they just haven't gotten around to it yet on the new readers.

At some point the card networks will mandate the Contactless interface. At which point these retailers like Wal Mart, Home Depot, Hobby Lobby, and HEB who actively disable tap will be forced to finally turn it on. In the case of Wal Mart and Home Depot they have the same systems in Canada and activated tap there as the card networks force them to activate it. Who knows why Hobby Lobby won't activate it on their stock NCR system but I am sure they have interesting reasons. HEB who knows- I heard they were testing tap in a few stores last year.