99 CENT ONLY closing

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: 99 CENT ONLY closing

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: June 29th, 2024, 10:34 am Was in Livermore, California yesterday. Was passing by the former 99 Cents Only store and saw construction was in full swing. Pulled into the lot and saw they are removing everything from the store. They were already down to bare concrete floors. The 99 Cents Only sign has already been removed and a temporary Dollar Tree sign is up.
Livermore already had cement floors under 99 Only.

I expect Dollar Tree to keep the cement.

Can't imagine Dollar Tree will keep the white/blue floors in the stores that have them but also don't think they'll go to the trouble of removing the floors; probably cover them up. The store they just re-floored in Reno uses longer vinyl strips, it looks better than a few of the re-floors with the sickening looking tan linoleum I saw them do back around the time of the 1.25 price conversion.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I always wondered why Dollar Tree used those ugly tan floors. They were really lumpy and had grooves that collected dirt. It looks terrible. Anything would have been better.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: June 29th, 2024, 10:43 am
CalItalian wrote: June 29th, 2024, 10:34 am Was in Livermore, California yesterday. Was passing by the former 99 Cents Only store and saw construction was in full swing. Pulled into the lot and saw they are removing everything from the store. They were already down to bare concrete floors. The 99 Cents Only sign has already been removed and a temporary Dollar Tree sign is up.

Can't imagine Dollar Tree will keep the white/blue floors in the stores that have them but also don't think they'll go to the trouble of removing the floors; probably cover them up. The store they just re-floored in Reno uses longer vinyl strips, it looks better than a few of the re-floors with the sickening looking tan linoleum I saw them do back around the time of the 1.25 price conversion.
A new Dollar Tree opened in a former Office Depot last few weeks. This was in the works before the 99 deal. DT did build an all new drop ceiling with all the work involved (redoing all HVAC vents, lighting etc) and did remove the linoleum floor. They did not do a good job of polishing the concrete, I saw one spill that looked like a crime scene on that untreated concrete. So they remove linoleum but don't necessarily have the experts do it so the result is poor.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: June 29th, 2024, 11:57 pm
storewanderer wrote: June 29th, 2024, 10:43 am

A new Dollar Tree opened in a former Office Depot last few weeks. This was in the works before the 99 deal. DT did build an all new drop ceiling with all the work involved (redoing all HVAC vents, lighting etc) and did remove the linoleum floor. They did not do a good job of polishing the concrete, I saw one spill that looked like a crime scene on that untreated concrete. So they remove linoleum but don't necessarily have the experts do it so the result is poor.
What is with them and drop ceilings? It immediately makes the store feel so dated.

There is a Dollar Tree in an Old Navy in Carson City on Topsy with a cement floor and exposed ceiling (both from Old Navy) and it is pretty nice. They built some walls around the perimeter for a stockroom but that was about all they did.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Didn't Dollar Tree have carpeting for a while? That was awful. The only other chain that I recall switching floors often was Best Buy. First there was tile and carpet. Then all carpet. Then faux wood. Then tile and carpet again. At least Best Buy flooring looks interesting and professionallydone. Best Buy never used concrete.

Dollar Tree has drop ceilings in some stores, but open ceilings in other stores. The ones opened around 8 years ago seemed to be open ceilings.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 30th, 2024, 1:38 pm Didn't Dollar Tree have carpeting for a while? That was awful. The only other chain that I recall switching floors often was Best Buy. First there was tile and carpet. Then all carpet. Then faux wood. Then tile and carpet again. At least Best Buy flooring looks interesting and professionallydone. Best Buy never used concrete.

Dollar Tree has drop ceilings in some stores, but open ceilings in other stores. The ones opened around 8 years ago seemed to be open ceilings.
Yes, they had carpet for a long time. Store employees were in charge of vacuuming it. Spills were a disaster. Of course when the vacuum breaks getting a new one is an expense and when it comes to expenses for store supplies you can imagine how Dollar Tree is about that sort of thing. Unlike CVS who puts a tiled floor in front of the areas likely to have spills (like the coolers), Dollar Tree only came up with the idea of doing that much more recently.

There are still stores out there with carpet.

You are right there is a building in Fernley that Dollar Tree built 10-15 years ago and it has open ceilings. There is also an open ceiling/cement floor Walgreens out there in Fernley, the only one like that in the area.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: June 30th, 2024, 1:50 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: June 30th, 2024, 1:38 pm Didn't Dollar Tree have carpeting for a while? That was awful. The only other chain that I recall switching floors often was Best Buy. First there was tile and carpet. Then all carpet. Then faux wood. Then tile and carpet again. At least Best Buy flooring looks interesting and professionallydone. Best Buy never used concrete.

Yes, they had carpet for a long time. Store employees were in charge of vacuuming it. Spills were a disaster. Of course when the vacuum breaks getting a new one is an expense and when it comes to expenses for store supplies you can imagine how Dollar Tree is about that sort of thing. Unlike CVS who puts a tiled floor in front of the areas likely to have spills (like the coolers), Dollar Tree only came up with the idea of doing that much more recently.

You are right there is a building in Fernley that Dollar Tree built 10-15 years ago and it has open ceilings. There is also an open ceiling/cement floor Walgreens out there in Fernley, the only one like that in the area.
Yeah, Best Buy switched from tile to carpet to tile again...or was it the other way around? They never really made up their mind. But Best Buy doesn't sell food or stuff that spills easily.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: June 30th, 2024, 9:44 pm
storewanderer wrote: June 30th, 2024, 1:50 pm

Yeah, Best Buy switched from tile to carpet to tile again...or was it the other way around? They never really made up their mind. But Best Buy doesn't sell food or stuff that spills easily.
I don't go to Best Buy much but as I recall they had carpet when I was last there. Maybe it varies by store.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: June 30th, 2024, 1:50 pm There are still stores out there with carpet.
L&B back in Minnesota is an example of a grocery store with carpet
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: June 30th, 2024, 11:14 pm
storewanderer wrote: June 30th, 2024, 1:50 pm There are still stores out there with carpet.
L&B back in Minnesota is an example of a grocery store with carpet
I forget where but I came across grocery stores with carpet somewhere in recent memory. I really cannot stand it. Customary musty odor was present.